Saturday, May 14, 2011

Modding: How to remove paint apps.

Ever had a toy which would be perfect except for that one annoying paint app? I have! I'm such a picky blighter that sometimes just a little less pleases me more (that's what she said).

Take Generations Scourge, for example. Thew disagrees with me, but I really don't like the oversized faction symbol on his moob.

It's ok to be proud of your allegiance, but really? Young man, that tattoo has got to go!

For this, you will require some Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a soft cloth to polish the paint off. Don't use anything that will scratch up the plastic!

I found that applying pressure whilst polishing in a circular motion worked best and it took little effort to remove the offending symbol:

There! Much cleaner. Of course, that went so well, that I had to tackle the other problem I have with Monsieur Scourge: the butt-flap. So on the United version, his pants-panel is white, which makes the body of (that which I shall call for sake of argument) the plane look a lot more 'together'. Compare it with the Generations version's pixel-y block of blue:

Also see how the United version has the tastefully small central faction symbol...and also the lairy metallic blue paint. Can you guess what I did next? That's right! I took some alcohol and rubbed it into his uni-buttock!


And this is the result! United-esque (lack of) paintscheme without the price tag! So how much was the Isopropyl? 50p. Bargain.

-Mattersmasher

Disclaimer: Please follow legal guidelines for purchasing and using the tools and supplies shown or described in these mod guides. Follow the mod guides on this site at your own risk, The Transforming Block will assume no liability for damage caused to your toys or yourself!

9 comments:

Thew said...

Boooo! Scourge's faction symbol is brilliant! Still, nice job removing it. That puppy is GONE.

Anonymous said...

I like the faction symbol too.

Mattersmasher said...

No comment on the bumflap? I got on a roll and removed the 'con symbol from Animated Shockwave's gun and for an encore I'm going to be removing the extraneous set of flames from Buster Primes rear mudguards.

Thew said...

Yeah, good one on Shockwave's gun! That damn thing always bugged me

Mattersmasher said...

It made Longarm Prime look like Long Dong Prime with a poorly chosen tattoo

Anonymous said...

Will this method work for Japanese Animated Leader Bulkhead's "mud/dirt" paint apps? Will it discolor any of the green?

Mattersmasher said...

Hmmm...email me a picture at mattersmasher@thetransformingblock.com and I'll let you know what I think.

exillionXLR said...

wonder if that would work on the jigglypuff tattoo on my left nosticle?

Mattersmasher said...

I tried it on the tattoo I have of your nosticle on my left jigglypuff. It stings something chronic.

Post a Comment