Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pictorial Review: DotM Roadbuster

So i hit TRU today kind of hoping i wouldn't see what I knew I was going to be there and knowingly buy but I went anyways...and yeah there they were...MOVIE TOYS!!

But WHOA! That sounds like I was excited......NO!

During ROTF I allowed the wave of hype to take me like an extremely buoyant penguin and wash me up on the beach of owning too much crap rather quickly. Fact is my ROTF toys are all packed away in a tub that only gets opened when I feel like dissolving two days with a combined marathon panel pop and denture grind session.

Now don't get me wrong, they are great in aesthetic terms and I love them for that. It's just to me functionality reigns on the same par and a lot of the ROTF line has an intuitive level similar to being isolated in a white room with a scart lead, a middle aged walrus and a sign mounted on the wall saying "go on then"

So this is why I had made my mind up to start with one figure and one only before any movie hype could grab me by the man turf.
That figure was going to be Roadbuster because he's new and more importantly, I think racing cars are AWESOME!




So the first thing i noticed about this fella in his vehicle mode is how small he is. It's not something that honestly bothers me though as shelf room is about as existent as feline chess tournaments in my current abode.


I'm not going to splurge on about how detailed he is, all you need to know is I was grinning like I'd hit that first dragon punch when I gazed on these threads and what's more is that he is as solid as ten bears after a concrete banquet!

Oh yeah his chainsaw doohicker fits in on the roof of the vehicle mode and looks like captain stooge buttered his bread on both sides. Hmmmmm...


With the robot mode i shall present the veggies first. One is the excess of grey plastic. There is a lot, but if you're not allergic to grey plastic then this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Imagine you were though....you'd be gutted right? Or probably dead if you persevered and carried on buying toys.


His entire roof section pretty much covers his back. Some people might think this an atrocity....not me though. He has a NASCAR ROOF FOR A BACK! Is that so bad? It doesn't even stick out anymore than a somewhat low profile majestic cloak....shut up!

His head makes an all too frequent example of the fact that is is not permanently attached and falls victim to gravity. Of course this might just be mine showing off.


On the dessert side of things he has a pretty decent arsenal of shapes to throw down thanks to some uber stellar joint action but what really put the custard on my trifle is his weapons. Two missile pods behind each shoulder..who doesn't like missile pods eh? I'll tell you....the bad guys!!

They also do this in vehicle mode if you want th....do i need to even ask??!!


Then we come to the MECH TECH weapon, his retractable chainsaw/gun/pokey thing that I thought I'd hate BUUUT it's great! It's smooth to retract,fits on either arm and reminds me of the first time I played with the kickback Namco arcade lightgun. Several pairs of trousers were ruined that day.

You know what really flies with this guy though?
His transformation! It's butter! 100% butter! Not even low cal or pro-active!
As I've mentioned, so many movie toys fail to win favour with me because getting them back into vehicle mode is the equivalent of trying to convince my local council that lumber carving is the answer to everything. But this...this is joy, 2 minutes and I was done, where has that happe....NO!!

Fact is Roadbuster has made me want more! This guy is a great example of well executed balance in both aesthetics and function and this conclusion is getting a bit too serious for my liking.
Time for rectification....

Brad/exillionXLR

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO. MUCH. GRAY!

Mattersmasher said...

It irks me that the weapons don't lock in both modes on the deluxe figures, but out of all the ones I have seen, this guy is the only one that intrigues me thus far. Welcome to the club!

Ben Watson said...

Great review, I love quavers, me.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind the MechTech gimmick, but I agree with Mattersmasher. What irks me is how dull the robot mode is. Roadbuster is crying out for some paint.

realistikkvideos said...

middle aged walruses are sexy

Mattersmasher said...

Ah, so you're in the Mature Walrus Appreciation Society? Are you a MWILF hunter?

Thew said...

Roadbuster's not a bad-lookin' robo! I bet he's fun to transform. With all that grey, it's like he's issuing us all with a custom paintjob challenge...

Mattersmasher said...

Hey if someone supplies him, I'll paint it like it's 1999!

MrVash104 said...

he dosnt look too bad .....
i saw whole bunch of DOTM figs on sunday at a discount store if u can believe it

MontanaVista said...

I'm going to have to pick this guy up because of the movie accurate paint job. Unfortunately he is GRAY for MILES!! I'm more excited to see some repaints of this mould, to be honest.

Unknown said...

Theres alot of fibbing on the box art with this guy. The box shows the chainsaw on his arm all extended and brutal without the aid of a finger holding the mechanism in place so it doesnt snap back into a gun. Also it portrays his mechtech wep attached to the side of the alt mode, but due to some solid matter on solid matter action, it just doesnt plug into the door without disrupting the look of the car. Other than that hes a treat.

Post a Comment